Mar 9, 2016

VT25, VT25A Push Pull amplifier Part 1

...SOLD...


The 10 is a very old triode and probably one of the first mass production power tube. It's linearity and sound qualities brought this tube a favorite among many DIY's. Dozens of amp and preamp using this tube and it's relatives (10Y, 801A, VT25) can be found on the net. The only and main drawback is it's flea power.
Long time ago I decided to build an amp that could drive speakers with 95/98 dB efficiency and the logical solution was push pull operation.
In that way I began modeling an AB1 operation push pull to reach 2 goals, higher output power (about 4/5 watt) and better amplitude distortion figure ( Push pull operation helps to compensate characteristics curvature). For that purpose I had on hand a pair of Tango FX50/16G, one of the finest transformers of Mr Hirata company.



Sylvania VT25 in "modern" ST shape


To get the very best of these tubes a good driver with high output voltage and low distortion is mandatory. Furthermore the perfect way to split signal in two is by inter-stage transformer. The main difficulty is to find one that accepts some primary current with large bandwidth, I finally selected the Tango NC14 for its very good reputation and its current handling capability.



To provide enough voltage a two stage driver was necessary. After several tests with different dual triodes my choice remained on the 5687 tube.
However due to driver limitations and NC14 step down voltage ratio (1/0,7) I can't go very deep in AB. Operating point is defined by plate voltage ( 415V ) and cathode resistor (3,3 Kohm) giving a steady plate current of 12 mA @ Vg -38V. The load (8 Kohm) of each tube give me the maximum plate voltage swing, here 275V peak.



5687 operating points have to be carefully chosen to give a large voltage with minimum distortion. It is especially critical for the 2nd stage as anode current must remain in the 15/18mA to keep good bandwidth in low frequencies from the NC14. To drive the VT25 full power we need to swing grid ± 38V peak, it means ± 55 V anode peak for the 5687 due to transformer voltage ratio.



Amplifier circuit



Power supply circuit
Two independent 7.5V supplies for VT25/VT25A tubes (just one shown on schematic)



Construction details




To check power tubes bias voltage I used a 6AF6 magic eye, although not accurate it gives an original look to the amplifier.



There is a bonus, I can use VT25A tubes without any change in amplifier circuit.

Sylvania VT25A big plate triode and oxide coated filament. Power rating seems to be the same but gives a bit more output mainly because of its lower internal resistance.

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous, what a weblog it is! This website provides valuable data to us, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and support but I must admit you are very few to follow this blog and I naturally ask myself if the topics I treat are the reason of such a little interest.
      Anyway thanks again, the most important is the fun it provides.
      Fred

      Delete
  2. Real clean web site, thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time pay a quick visit at here
    and i am really impressed to read all at single place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! This blog post could not be written any better!

    Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!

    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him.
    Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you guys are up also. Such intelligent work
    and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I've incorporated you guys to my blogroll.
    I think it'll improve the value of my website :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good day I am so glad I found your blog, I really found you by mistake,
    while I was looking on Aol for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a marvelous post and a all round
    enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time
    to go through it all at the moment but I have book-marked it
    and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
    read more, Please do keep up the awesome b.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for reading my blog.
      I try my best to bring clear information about why and how and appreciate your comment.
      Fred

      Delete
  7. Hey very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete